24 October 2010

Pancakes

Mom's Pancake recipe (which I think may derive from an old Betty Crocker cookbook):
1 egg
1 C all purpose flour (I have always used Gold Medal)
3/4 C milk
2 T shortening, melted or veg. oil (I prefer either Crisco solid, whisked well in the bowl or softened butter)
1 T sugar
3 tsp baking powder(I use 2 with no problem)
1/2 tsp salt
Beat egg with hand beater until fluffy (I just use a fork); beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. For thinner pancakes, beat in another 1/4 milk. (Let it rest until it bubbles- perhaps 5-10 minutes.)
To test griddle, sprinkle on a few drops of water. If bubbles skitter, heat is just right.
Using a 4 or more cup measuring cup with lip, pour about 3 T onto hot griddle.(I just pour some from a tablesppon- that makes silver dollar size).
Cook until puffed and dry around edges (look for the bubbles in the batter). Turn and cook until golden brown.(It's very quick.)
For blueberry pancakes: stir in 1/2 C of fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry.

Served with Vermont maple syrup (B grade to my preference) and the kids are wild for it (as is the German).

I've been making this recipe at least once a week since begging my mom to send it to me. Next up is asking what needs to be changed to use it in the waffle iron. As easy as pie (easier), and the kids are wild for it. Last week I used chocolate chips, but although the German loved that, the kids seem to be purists. Putting the recipe together takes less time than waiting for my frying pan to heat and for two kids under 8 and two adults a double recipe is better than a single- today I wound up having cottage cheese instead of pancakes when we ran out.

No comments: