25 May 2008

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Hmm, picked up some more rhubarb (I love rhubarb season) and a kilo of strawberries and needed to decide what to do with them. Very important to decide quickly, because I find that strawberries here go bad within 24 hours of purchase. So I "cobbled" together a recipe.

My Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

About 1 kilo rhubarb

About 600g strawberries

1/2 c sugar

Cut rhubarb in 1" slices. Hull and slice strawberries. Put them in large, nonreactive bowl in 3:1 proportions. Add 1/2 c. granulated sugar and 2-3 T lemon juice (and lemon zest if you have a zester), stir and let sit for 30 minutes to macerate.
Then I scrambled together a cobbler based loosely on Pioneer Woman's wonderful Blackberry Cobbler.

2 cups flour (+ a bit)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter

Now, her recipe uses shortening and involves some finicky mixing, but mine: just put it all together and mix. If it's too sticky, add a bit more flour while you mix it together. The spray Pam on your 9x13 glass pan (or butter it), lay the fruit mixture out, and drop the cobbler mixture on top. As you can see, there really wasn't enough cobbler mix to cover the amount of fruit I wanted to use, next time I would probably make half again as much.
Pre-heat the oven to 425F, or to 200C heissluft (I can't figure how to turn the convection off) and cook for 30 minutes. Let it cool a bit, then enjoy. (Some recipes add 2 T of tapioca to stiffen it up but I didn't have any around, and I don't mind it being drippy).

No comments: