24 May 2008

Gray's Anatomy season closer

and a makeshift chili which was pretty good. Since the girls had a warm lunch I made them plain pasta for dinner and for the German and myself I threw together a chili-type meal.

Left Over Chili
4 onions, sliced and diced
6 cloves garlic, sliced
4 carrots, sliced into thin rings
3 ribs celery, sliced lengthwise then diced
2 cans drained and rinsed kidney beans
500g sieved tomatoes
Cajun spices, granulated garlic, cayenne pepper and chili powder, sea salt and black pepper
500+g ground beef (Rinderhackfleisch)

Put them in a saucepan with olive oil and start sauteeing. I threw a bunch of sea salt and ground pepper on there as well. After about 10 minutes I poured in the tomatoes and kidney beans, stirred, added a lot of spice and stirred it again.

In the meantime, brown the ground beef in a large stockpot/soupkettle. I didn't need to use any oil, because I brought up the heat slowly and the beef gave off fat. When done browning, strain the meat and discard fat.

Then add the saucepan of vegetables to the meat, stir, add salt, pepper and more of all spices to taste. remember that hot spices get hotter as they cook, so if you spice to taste, it will be much hotter after it's done cooking.



After a few hours (putting the girls to bed) I made myself a bowl. Then, for the German, I added another 500 g of tomatoes. He's come a long way, but not quite far enough for the amount of cayenne pepper I enjoy. These are, of course, spices I brought with me from the States. I'm not certain how the spices would be here, because when I bought fierig scharf crushed red peppers here, they were absolutely bland.

Ah, the season ender of Gray's? A few surprises here and there, but what a nice, satisfying, great ending.

No comments: